The Fundamentals of New Management Training
Successful businesses and strong managers go hand in hand. Such managers are individuals who have been properly vetted, trained, and placed in positions where they can thrive. But getting there requires following a carefully crafted plan to ensure each manager's success. By adhering to the fundamentals of new management training, companies can avoid mistakes and the consequences of the same.
1. Appoint a mentor. Assign each manager trainee to a mentor, preferably a senior manager who can offer moral support, answer questions, and discuss solutions to problems. For overstretched management teams, consider hiring a consultant with a strong management background to liaise with your trainees. At a minimum, mentors should commit to working with managers at least through their training period.
2. Monitor and provide feedback. Every manager enters a learning curve and works toward a goal of becoming an independent manager. Your company must outline concrete steps to help each individual reach expected goals or thresholds along the way. Monitor the trainee's progress and provide feedback as needed. Take corrective action when necessary.
3. Supply supplemental training courses. Management training courses are another way to help budding managers learn. These courses may be online or offline or may represent individual seminars held onsite or offsite. Provide trainees the time to participate without interruption.
4. Review HR policies. New managers have much to learn about Human Resources policies, information they will articulate to their employees. Provide each trainee with an employee manual and discuss the procedures managers must take to handle employee problems.
5. Articulate management systems. Besides understanding HR policies, equip new managers with the tools necessary to hire and train new employees, conduct performance reviews, and manage discipline issues. Here, managers should have knowledge of state and federal labor laws in addition to the company's policies.
6. Establish quantifiable goals. Every manager should understand all requirements. Goals must be clear, reachable, and quantified. For instance, if restaurant managers must maintain food costs in the 28 to 32 percent range and labor costs of 30 to 35 percent of total sales, then these prime costs may not exceed 67 percent (32 percent food + 35 percent labor) to maintain profitability.
7. Understand work styles. No two managers are alike, with unique personalities and work styles evident. Make allowance for differences, while also helping trainees identify their strengths and weaknesses. Use this information to form management teams where different levels of managers complement each other.
8. Solve problems before they spiral out of control. Conflict is a human element, although most people do not acknowledge it, choosing to avoid the same. Have conflict resolution strategies in place and enable all managers to take their problems to the top.
Ensuring Management Success
A carefully implemented and executed management training program is your business' assurance that the people you appoint are the best ones suited for the position. Anything less and employee morale, customer satisfaction, and business profitability will suffer, leading to high turnover costs and potential harm to your enterprise.